Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Another Big Idea


My buddy Tim has a Big Idea published in this week's Arkansas Times. And it's a good one. Also, don't miss his wife's Big Idea. It's just as good. Well, here's mine for the day:

If we must expand I-40 to three lanes (and I've noted why I don't think it will work) make the third lane a High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane.

The point of an HOV lane is to move more people than cars. Isn't that why we're building the third lane in the first place? Plus, if we want to continue to promote the Little Rock metro (and Conway's part of the Little Rock metro) as progressive - and I don't mean that in the political sense, let's do something progressive and do something that will actually help with traffic rather than induce demand.

1 comment:

  1. Also, it's really the only way to every make public transit across town (suburb-suburb, city-suburb) a reasonable alternative to driving yourself around - by giving it a speed advantage.

    ReplyDelete